Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mobile culture and mobile technology wallet.


It is ironic to see how we became so dependent on mobile technology, and specifically cell phones. Personally, I reached a point were I cannot leave my home without a cell phone, and if I did, I feel something missing. Honestly, if I have to choose between going out without a wallet or without a cell phone, then I will definitely choose to go out without a wallet.

Cell phones are not anymore just a communication device, most of them have audio, video and data storage, camera, Internet and search capability, games, converters, maps, etc. From a business and professional aspect, you use your cell phone to attend meetings, conferences, and schedule and manage your appointments, update your calendar, and monitor your business and market, etc. Moreover, others have even more advanced, convenient and helpful capabilities, such as virtual-wallet technology were you can use you cell phone to pay for goods in some stores and some vending machines in many countries around the word.
For instance, I used my cell phone at Starbucks to pay for my Latte, and hope to soon use my cell phone to pay when buying from vending machine, which already exist in many Asian countries, like Japan.

As of now, here in the US, many vending machines support wireless technology where you can use your credit card to pay for your vends (www.Healthy2Go.net), and hopefully soon we will be able use our cell phones to buy from vending machines, which I believe is very cool and convenient.

3 comments:

  1. While using a cell phone for talking and searching and different media is all well and fine. I do think that making currency digital is a very risky thing. Putting your information on a cell phone might seem bad because it can get lost or stolen or even hacked. But this still isn’t any riskier than putting your information on your computer or having your credit card in your wallet. What I am more concerned with would be digital counterfeiting. It would be much easier to just type a number into a hacked account or just give yourself money then to print out a physical piece of currency. Inflation would become a bigger problem and put the economy into a worse spot then it is in now. while I don’t think that putting data on cell phones and stuff like that is a bad idea I do think that making currency nothing but data is something that will have to be tested and have a tight security system before putting it into use for everything we buy.


    Warren Rhodes Jr.
    WR_designs@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i'd have to agree with you on the whole leaving the wallet home, statement rather then my cell phone. I'd be lost with it and when you dont have your phone thats when you need it most. When it comes to simple things just as needing to make an emergency call. I use my phone for the internet and so much more. I never knew you could use your phone to pay for things, i do believe that is quite convient.

    LaToya Joe
    Miss.LaToya.Michelle@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Womens purse being snatched, wallets being stolen and pockets being picked are things we have to deal with on a daily, so what happens if we start using are phones to pay with things? using your phone in this way is a great idea but a risky one at that. Using your phone in this fashion does make things easier when you look at how we live in todays world, always on the move, going from place to place never really stopping, but i can't help but think of what would happen if someone stole my phone? It's like your credit card being stolen, the thief can rack up a whole lot of charges before you can shut off service, costing you a lot of money and fee's and what not. Also,our phone's are like mini computers too, a lot of our lives are basically in our pocket so if it goes missing anyone can get personal info, but I'am one of those people even tho I see the negative in it, I live my life on the go and I would welcome this advance in technology with open arms but with my guard up too. -Aaron Baker

    ReplyDelete